1914 – 1924
– Founded August, 1914
– Joined Garden Club of America, June 1915
– Held first Flower Show open to public at the East Hampton Library
– Improved the appearance of the Railroad Station
– Distributed leaflets on “Duties of Women in War Time” during WW I
1925 – 1934
– Undertook civic planting at the Library, Mulford Farm and local schools
– Made efforts to save historic willow and pepperidge trees
– Fought billboards in the Village of East Hampton
– Mrs. Ruger Donoho donated eight acres to begin the Village’s Nature Trail in 1934.
– Mrs. Lorenzo Woodhouse loaned an 10 additional acres contiguous to the Nature Trail.
1935 – 1944
– Mrs. Woodhouse loaned more land to GCEH for the Nature Trail.
– For 8 years starting in 1934, Club members worked, laying out paths, planting wildflowers, clearing debris and labeling trees and shrubs. Finally, in 1942, we opened the Nature Trail to the public. – Contributed to GCA’s “Gardens on Parade” at the 1938 World’s Fair.
– Organized Victory Gardens during WW II and worked with the Red Cross.
– Ran house tours for war relief and decorated servicemen’s clubs.
– Led Village vote to use tax money to replant trees lost in 1938 hurricane.
– Fought the establishment of gas stations on Main Street.
1945 – 1954
– Joined with other local Garden Clubs to landscape a Veterans Hospital.
– Won 1st prize for “Horticultural Interest” at the International Flower Show.
– Became concerned with ragweed elimination and topsoil conservation.
– GCEH owned and managed the Nature Trail from its opening in 1942 until 1951, when the Village assumed ownership of the property with GCEH acting as a consultant to the Village Board in its management. In subsequent years a joint committee was formed to oversee the Nature Trail that included the LVIS, the Eastern Gate Garden Club and a Parks Commission.
– Decorated many historic sites for 300th Anniversary of East Hampton Town.
1955 – 1964
– Sponsored Children’s Flower Show with Eastern Gate Garden Club
– Planted shrubs around the new Children’s Wing of the Library
– Held an open conservation meeting for Village officials and others
1965 – 1974
– Worked with the LVIS to save the Reutershan Parking Lot trees
– Added oxygenating plants and improved drainage at the Nature Trail
– Amended our Constitution and became a tax exempt organization
– Held first spring Garden Mart to benefit the East Hampton Library by raising money to support lawn and landscape care on the Library grounds
– Promoted awareness of environmental problems: pollution, land sub-division, offshore drilling and
depleted ozone in the atmosphere
1975 – 1984
– Celebrated our 60th anniversary in 1975
– Established May Garden Mart as our annual fundraising activity
– Renovated the Mulford Farm Garden for nation’s Bicentennial
– Participated in the Village’s Parade for the Bicentennial
– Developed consciousness of acid rain, real estate over-development, pollution
from toxic sprays and fertilizers, wetlands destruction and Dutch Elm disease
– Protected wildflowers along village roads with Do Not Mow signage
– Adopted the endangered wild Northern Pitcher Plant as our “native plant”
1985 – 1994
– Designed and dedicated the Grace Lee Roberts Garden at the Library
– Started an annual Boys Harbor program on horticulture and conservation
– Designed and planted a Native Plant Garden at Clinton Academy
– Researched and planted historic Rachel’s Garden at Mulford Farm
– Worked with The Nature Conservancy to protect Piping Plovers and Least Terns
– Established annual East Hampton High School environmental scholarship
– Held a public forum on acid rain at the East Hampton High School
– Co-sponsored public seminar on “Protecting Long Island Wild Flowers and
– Relandscaped the East Hampton Railroad Station
1995 – 2000
– Designed and planted a Courtyard Garden at newly expanded Library
– Collaborated with East Hampton Department of Natural Resources on the
Hook Creek Watershed analysis project
– Donated funds for purchase of Accabonac Harbor wetlands to South Fork
Nature Conservancy for GCA Project 2000
– Participated in the Town’s 350th Anniversary Parade